Name inhabitants: portoferraiesi
Patron Saint of San Cristino – 29 April
Population 12,000 inhabitants
Surface 48.48 km²
Density 247.74 inhabitants / km²
Address Town Hall:
Municipality of Portoferraio
Via Garibaldi 17
57037 Portoferraio LI
Switchboard +39 0565 937111
Fax +39 0565 916391
Municipal Police +39 0565 937251
Email PEC firstname.lastname@example.org
Institutional website www.comune.portoferraio.li.it
Municipality of Portoferraio among the oldest towns of the island, its origins date back to the Ligurians, the Etruscans and the Greeks before becoming a Roman colony with the name of Fabricia.
Capital and main port of Elba, it is located on the north-eastern coast on a promontory that borders the bay to the north.
Portoferraio, in the aspect that we can still admire today, was built by the will of Cosimo I dei Medici who, after having renamed it Cosmopoli, began in 1548 the great fortification works.
In 1814 he hosted the exile Napoleon Bonaparte. Other places of historical and cultural interest are the Romanesque church of S. Stefano alle Trane, the Fortezza d’Altura Etrusca del Castiglione, THE NAPOLEONIC MUSEUM of SAN MARTINO for visitors the first of the Province of Livorno and the second in Tuscany after the Uffizi, the ‘International Art Center of Italo Bolano, the Foresian Art Gallery and the Ottone Botanical Garden.
In the municipality of Portoferraio are the Terme di San Giovanni. The towns of S. Giovanni, Schiopparello, Magazzini, Ottone, Carpani, Bagnaia, S. Martino, La Biodola, Viticcio and the island of Montecristo are part of the municipality of Portoferraio.
The Medici fortifications were built by the architect Giovanni Battista Bellucci.
In a year, from 1548 to 1549, he built a stronghold consisting of three forts (Falcone, Stella, Linguella) connected by solid and powerful walls.
In the area of the old port through the Porta a Terra, you can visit the Forte del Falcone, the Forte Stella and the Linguella Fort by following, when possible, the walkways that connect them.
The ruins of a Roman villa of the imperial era are located a few kilometers from Portoferraio, in the direction of Bagnaia, in the locality called Le Grotte. They remained covered by brambles until 1960 when excavation work brought to light the large complex with opus reticulatum walls, large terraces overlooking the sea and a swimming pool equipped with a system of heating and water purification.
Portoferraio, Carpani, Enfola, Magazzini, San Giovanni, Acquabona, Acquaviva, Bagnaia, Brunello, Campitelle, Campo Ai Peri, Casa Del Duca, Le Foci, Norsi, Santo Stefano, Biodola, Scaglieri, Schiopparello, Scotto, Val Di Denari, Valcarene, Valdana, Valle Di Lazzaro, Viticcio
Grigolo Beach, Spiaggia delle Viste, Le Ghiaie Beach, Cala dei Frati Beach, Padulella Beach, Capo Bianco Beach, Sottobomba Beach, Seccione Beach, Acquaviva Beach, La Sorgente Beach, Sansone Beach, Enfola Beach, Pinetina Beach, Spiaggia del Viticcio, Forno Beach, Scaglieri Beach, Biodola Beach, La Lamaia Beach, Bagnaia Beach, Ottone Beach, Magazzini Beach, Schiopparello Beach.
Video Municipality of Portoferraio