Poggio, a quiet and ancient mountain village surrounded by chestnut trees. The square is beautiful with a panoramic view of Marciana Marina and part of the island. The typical alleys are paved with granite and concentric with the church of S. Niccolò , located at the highest point of the town. The Fountain of Napoleon is renowned for its spring water.
Church of San Niccolò in the highest point of Poggio
The Church of San Niccolò a Poggio was probably built in the 12th century and is characterized by its dual purpose of church and fortress, which can be understood from the two bastions that rise on the sides of the external facade. We do not know if the church or the fortress was built first; it seems that the sacred building predates the two bastions dating back to the sixteenth century, which seem to adapt to a previous building, as evidenced by the staircase leading from the Square of Poggio to the church floor.
Source of Napoleon
In the name Source of Napoleone , following the passage of the emperor, the ancient name was Fonte dell’Acquaviva, referring to the perennial water regime of the spring. The source was incorporated outside a public wash house with a masonry basin and central arch. On the occasion of Napoleon Bonaparte’s visit in August 1814 to the nearby town of Poggio, in which he had five of his soldiers set up rudimentary seats with monzogranite stones at the source.
Hermitage of San Cerbone immersed in the chestnut trees of Poggio
The place of worship is located on the slopes of Mount Capanne, overlooking the towns of Marciana and Poggio, surrounded by ancient chestnut trees. The origin dates back to the escape of the bishop of Populonia to the island of Elba because of the Lombard raids.
The Romitorium of San Cerbone is the oldest place of worship on the island of Elba. According to tradition, the church was built immediately after the death of the saint, in 575, but it is only expressly mentioned in 1421, in relation to the Franciscan monastery.
The Square of Poggio
Piazza alla Fonte