The Church of Marciana was built in the sixteenth century. on the place where there was an older chapel which was incorporated into the new building. The inclination of the land varies the height of the external fronts, of which the main one rises over the square, while the south-east corner, surmounted by the square bell tower, dominates the valley. Among the largest churches of Elba , with three naves, it develops in height with a partly sail and partly cross roof. On the side walls there are eight eighteenth-century altars, partly in masonry and partly in marble, on which the relative blades are preserved. The granite baptismal font dates back to 1435, and is surmounted by a small eighteenth-century statue in gilded wood of the “ Battista “.
How to reach the church of Marciana Santa Caterina
The church is located at the lowest point of the town, a few meters after passing the town gate of Marciana Alta