The Capoliveri church is located at the highest point of the town, Santa Maria Assunta, also known as “Santissima Annunziata” (13th-14th century). The church of seventeenth-century origin, was restored in 1830, as the epigraph on the main door recalls, and preserves inside numerous nineteenth-century statues in painted plaster.
Of Romanesque layout and documented since 1343. It was attacked by the Franco-Turkish troops of Dragut in 1553 ; this event was described in a marble epigraph of 1576, now disappeared, which was inside the church: «In the time that the Turkish armies came to Christianity they landed in Porto Longone (ancient name of Porto Azzurro ): the Turks came to the land of Capoliveri, hug the church and spoil all the images of Christ and the Saints and disferno the present [altar]». Inside the building it is worth noting in particular numerous nineteenth-century statues in painted plaster, together with a canvas depicting the Madonna del Carmine between San Mamiliano and Sant’Andrea, originally located in the nearby church of San Mamiliano.
How to reach the Church of Santa Maria Assunta
The Church of Santa Maria Assunta is located in the center of the town of Capoliveri , not far from the square with a view of the town, along which often plays host to summer concerts.