The Church of San Niccolò Poggio probably arose in the XII century, is characterized by its dual purpose as a church and fortress, which can be guessed from the two bastions that stand on the sides of the external facade. We do not know if the church or fortress was built first; it seems that the sacred building is antecedent to the two ramparts dating back to the 16th century, which seem to adapt to a previous building, as shown by the staircase leading from the square to the church floor. Inside, the Greek cross building is vaulted and preserves an organ from Michelangelo Paoli in 1854. In the Cappella dell’Annunziata of 1732 (right) there is a canvas representing Annunciation by Antonio Rossi (1883), while in the Rosari Chapel there is a painting depicting the Virgin between Sant’Antonio da Padova and Santa Caterina da Siena. At the two side altars there are two other canvases depicting the Deposition and the Souls of Purgatory.
Church of San Niccolò in the center of Poggio
The Church of San Niccolò in the center of Poggio, an ancient Elban hill town, within the municipality of Marciana. Outside the church there is a small but pretty panoramic square.