Vigilanti Theater and square of the Carmine
The theater, with three tiers of boxes was built in the nineteenth century. on a pre-existing church dedicated to the Madonna del Carmine (17th century), chapel of the hospital of the same name commissioned by the Marquis Sorbello in 1617. The church, deconsecrated at the end of that century and stripped of its furnishings, was for a long time used as a military warehouse, until in 1814, it was destined to become a theatrical space.
Academy of Vigilanti
In May 1815, after Napoleon’s defeat, the theater was re-inaugurated under the direction of the Accademia dei Fortunati, which soon changed its name to the Academy of Vigilanti.
After various vicissitudes, in 1937 the theater was used mainly as a cinema until 1952. A long period of abandonment followed, until in 1974 the theater was bought by the Municipality of Portoferraio, which carried out, in the mid-eighties, a vast intervention of recovery, made possible also thanks to funding from the FIO regional project. Upon completion of the work, the theater is recovered not only for theatrical activity, but also for congress activities.
360 ° view of the Vigilanti Theater
How to reach the theater
The Teatro dei Vigilanti is located under the clearly visible Forte Falcone . From the Biscotteria building (Portoferraio town hall), we take the street on its left: Salita del Falcone, 200m and we arrive in piazza del Carmine , where the theater is located.