Fortress Saint Cloud was the southern end of the outermost fortified line of the entrenched camp and was built between 1804 and the following year. Its small size and pentagonal shape, as well as its relative proximity show it more as a lunette accompanying the ramparts of the square than as a separate fortification work. The position was strategic to control, beyond the salt pans, the main access road to the city. This, after passing the salt pans, branched off forming an important road junction: on one side it skirted the gulf and then connected to the roads that led to Volterraio and to Porto Azzurro , from the other entered the San Martino valley and then continued towards Procchio and Marciana . The fort was about 400 meters from the ground front and therefore maintained a very reduced height development, using caponiera and works in the moat, so as not to hinder the trajectory of the artillery fire in the square.
The last traces of Fortress Saint Cloud
A portion of the outer curtain walls are today the last trace of the Fort Saint Cloud , still clearly visible, albeit in an evident state of neglect, in front of the docks of the modern ferry docks, adhering to the western flank of the lower of the two tall buildings, which rise above the new port, violating the panoramic view of the city from whichever side you look at it.
Of the internal fortified structure there remain two internal barrel-vaulted galleries which must have constituted covered passages and which are now uninhabitable and await safety measures.
Where Fort Saint Cloud was
What remains of the old Fort Saint Cloud can be seen in Calata Italia, upstream of the new port area of Portoferraio .