Church of San Marco of the Grotte

It was built in 1619 to remember an episode of the wars against the Turkish. At the beginning of the 18th century it went from the Roncisvalle to the Lambardi who built the neighbour villa and restored the chapel; it was adorned by a painting representing “Saint Mark” ordered in 1824 to the Florentine Giuseppe Bezzuoli. The big altarpiece represents the evangelist writing the Gospel. After the Lambardi, whose tombstones are in San Marco, the church went under the Lambardi-Duchoquè and afterwards it was sold to the Gasparri family.

St. Mark Evangelist

St. Mark the Evangelist was first a disciple of St. Paul the Apostle and then of St. Peter, and is the author of the Gospel according to Mark. His holiness is recognized by many Christian Churches, and he is considered patriarch and first bishop of Alexandria from the Coptic one. A fairly detailed picture of the life of St. Mark the Evangelist comes from what he described in the New Testament, while other information comes to us from the Apocryphal Acts of Mark and from the Ecclesiastical History of Eusebius of Caesarea.

How to reach the Church of San Marco alle Grotte

The Church is located in the Grotte area adjacent to San Giovanni

Location Church of San Marco alle Grotte